Kevin Foster Langston is a recovering music critic who likes what he likes because he likes it, and anyone who has a problem with that can bugger off.
1. Japandroids, Celebration Rock (Polyvinyl)
2. Cloud Nothings, Attack on Memory (ADA/Carpark Records)
3. Frank Ocean, Channel Orange (Def Jam)
4. Fiona Apple, The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than the Driver of the Screw and Whipping Cords Will Serve You More Than Ropes Will Ever Do (Clean Slate/Epic)
5. Diiv, Oshin (Captured Tracks)
6. The Men, Open Your Heart (Sacred Bones)
7. Metz, Metz (Sub Pop)
8. Titus Andronicus, Local Business (XL)
9. Jack White, Blunderbuss (Columbia /Third Man Records)
10. Fun., Some Nights (Fueled by Ramen Records)
+ Honorable Mention: Ty Segall released three fantastic records this year (e.g. Hair, Twins and Slaughterhouse), but they sort of cancelled one another out.