Launched back in 2005, albeit somewhat redundantly, to give the always recording EinstÃ¼rzende Neubauten an outlet for their â€œmore experimental impulses and explorations,â€ the groupâ€™s always interesting Musterhaus series is in fact no more. Weingeister – their eighth and final installment – finds Blixa and the boys popping and pouring, gargling and gorging on vintage European libations amidst a backdrop of various other wine-related sounds. According to the sleeve notes, any and everything in sight was fair game for a contact mic â€“ â€œthe table, the glasses, the throats.â€ And as a tribute of sorts, each track is labeled according to the vintage consumed:
- â€œ2004 Carridi Bianco/Colosi, Sicilia,â€ 5:00
- â€œ2004 Moscato Giallo/Manincor, Alto Adige,â€ 7:02
- â€œ1997 CuvÃ©e Annamaria Clementi/Ca’ Del Bosco, Lombardia,â€ 4:28
- â€œ2003 Rosso Di Bisaccia/Cossentino, Sicilia,â€ 6:49
- â€œ1995 Brunello Riserva/Col D’Orcia, Toscana,â€ 5:27
- â€œ1997 Condrieu Les Chaillets/Cuilleron, Rhone,â€ 3:46
I can honestly say Iâ€™ve never seen a sommelier thanked on a record before. (Kudos to you Peer Martiny!) For those still craving their members-only Blixa fix, www.neubauten.org webmaster/Bargeldâ€™s wife Erin Zhu has promised that despite the demise of the Musterhaus series, the multi-phase Supporter Project will continue on as planned.